PhD study and a career in research is both arduous and exhilarating! Prepare to start strong!
Learn about PhD applications and admissions:
- Graduate School Application Overview (picking schools, writing personal statements and interviewing): Watch Video
- What Admissions Directors Think About Getting into Graduate School: Watch Video
- Why do I want to go to graduate school?
- Where do I see myself in the future?
- What training will I need to reach my goals?
- Why am I interested in this field?
- What experiences have stimulated this interest?
- What skills or personal characteristics enhance my chances for success?
- What are my biggest accomplishments?
- Have I overcome relevant obstacles in my life?
- Are there any gaps or discrepancies in my academic record?
- Why THIS school and program?
Build Your Research Experience
- Consider a research capstone or undergraduate honors thesis
- Practice your ability to comprehend research papers
- Work as a research technician after college
- Consider working somewhere you might like to go to school
- Do a research-oriented postbac after college
- At the NIH (NIH POSTBAC IRTA PROGRAM)
- At a University (NIGMS PREP Programs)
- Classes or a MS without solid research won’t be as useful for PhD
Reflect on your readiness:
- Ask yourself-do I have an individual development plan? See My IDP
- Think about what you might do with the PhD at ScienceCareers.org and PhD Jobs
- Reflect on your maturity, stress management skills and emotional intelligence-you’ll work in teams